Saturday, October 13, 2007

Grandma's story

I chatted with my grandma a moment ago, and she talked about her childhood, and my dad's and his sibling's childhood. and it was real tough. life back them is simple, the purpose is to survive, and keep the family alive. These days, perhaps its not a issue anymore, so now is about financial freedom, become a millionaire, excel among peers, get enlightened and etc. listening to their life makes me feel more content, and regret of course.

I never realized what I am now is a result and continuation of their struggle. I never went through meal problem, never walk for more than 5km to earn a day's living, never walk to see a doctor for can't affording the fare and never plead for help for lack of money. And what they go through back then, result in the way of living of later days.

Back then, there's more warmth in the community, the doctor will treat you for free. Yeah, for free, because thats what need to be done. The neighborhood helps you to build your house, they worried over your safety, they share food with the those in hunger and so on.

Today as i walk to the mall, there's a lady sitting on the floor, with a little girl in her hand, and a cup on the floor. i saw her few times, she is always there. Every time i feel like talking to her and offer some help or get her some food., which i didn't. As i leave the mall, i bought some pastry for them, but they are gone. The pastry ends up my dinner.

No comments: